At 16 years old you can take your driving test to apply for your California provisional driver’s license. Here is a checklist for your driver’s license.
- Have your provisional permit for at least 6 months.
- Have completed California driver education.
- Have completed 6 hours of professional driver training.
- Have completed 50 hours of driving practice with an adult 25 years or older who has a valid California driver license and can certify the practice. A minimum of 10 of the 50 hours must be at night.
- Have your picture taken.
- Provide proof of financial responsibility.
- Make a driving test Appointment: Call 1-800-777-0133 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday, or visit http://www.dmv.ca.gov/foa/welcome.do?localeName=en.